Providence in Arminianism, Open Theism & Calvinism
Scroll down for many free Reformation resources (MP3s, videos, books, etc.) on providence.
"Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places." (Psalm 135:6)
"The boundless stores of Providence are engaged for the support of the believer. Christ is our Joseph, who has granaries full of wheat; but He does not treat us as Joseph did the Egyptians, for He opens the door of His storehouse and bids us call all the good therein our own. He has entailed upon His estate of Providence a perpetual charge of a daily portion for us, and He has promised that one day we shall clearly perceive that the estate itself has been well-farmed on our behalf and has always been ours. The axle of the wheels of the chariot of Providence is Infinite Love, and Gracious Wisdom is the perpetual charioteer." - Charles Spurgeon, emphases added
"In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will." (Eph. 1:11)
A search, using the Master Search Index, on the Puritan Hard Drive, for the word "providence" produces 34,334 results in 1,155 books. All these results are also shown in the context of one line and with one click, on any of these lines, you are taken to the right book, on the right page, with your search term highlighted.
"As the providence of God does, in general, reach to all creatures; so, after a most special manner, it takes care of His Church, and disposes all things to the good thereof." (Westminster Confession of Faith 5:7, Original Edition)
Arminianism, Open Theism and Reformed Theology: Three Views Of Providence (Free MP3s, Videos, etc.)
There are 325 Reformed resources under the category "Predestination and Providence" and 1,840 Reformation resources under the category "Calvinism and the Sovereignty of God" on the Puritan Hard Drive, refuting Arminianism, Open Theism and other heresies.
"When the world smiles upon us, and we have got a warm nest, how do we prophesy of rest and peace in those acquisitions, thinking with good Baruch, great things for ourselves, but Providence by a particular or general calamity overturns our plans (Jer. 45:4,5), and all this to turn our hearts from the creature to God." - John Flavel, emphases added
Providence in Classic Arminianism by Dr. Bruce Ware (Free MP3)
Though the are some comments in these lectures by Dr. Ware that SWRB would not be in full agreement with, overall, these four messages are excellent and contain much edifying information and teaching.
Our Father's Amazing Providence by Dr. Joel Beeke (Free MP3)
Institutes of the Christian Religion #8 (Use to Be Made of the Doctrine of Providence; The Instrumentality of the Wicked) by John Calvin (Free MP3)
Our Sovereign And Unchanging God In A Changing World Full Of Trials, Trouble, Sin, Pain, Affliction, Misery, Disorder & Disease by Greg Price (Free MP3)
Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks, Banner of Truth) by John Flavel (Paperback and Kindle Editions at Amazon.com)
The Providence of God by Dr. James White (2 Free Videos)
"The Church at large has tried to put man at the center of the Universe for so long in its sermons, books and articles that today, when we do hear a preacher talk about the Sovereignty or Providence of God, it actually seems very strange to our ears. We think "what new doctrine is this?" But the truth is that this is not a new concept at all, but in fact the classic, orthodox, Christian view of the God of the Bible.
Regarding the Sovereignty of God, Dr. R.C. Sproul makes the point that if there were one maverick molecule out there somewhere apart from the plan of God, we would have no reason to hope in God. That one maverick molecule could be the one detail that defeats God's eternal purpose. If God is not in Sovereign control, perhaps that one "maverick molecule" could have got into the lungs of Jesus as a young baby and God's eternal plan of salvation could well have been derailed with Jesus dying in infancy. As the old saying goes, "For lack of the nail, the shoe was lost. For lack of the shoe, the horse was lost. For lack of the horse, the rider was lost. For lack of the rider, the battle was lost. For lack of the battle, the war was lost.
In contrast to this picture, our God is All-Powerful (Omnipotent), and all of history is merely the outworking of His eternal plan. God not merely created the world, but His eternal power sustains it and continues its existence by the sheer exertion of His will -- were God to "blink," all would come to an end.
Here Dr. James White teaches two sessions on "the providence of God." The second session refutes the "middle knowledge" doctrine (of the Jesuits and Dr. William Land Craig - ed.) that is becoming more and more prevalent in our day. Both of these messages are highly recommended -- very much a worthwhile use of your time." - JS (from Reformation Theology).
Free: The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel (Puritan) & Many More Free Puritan Books & MP3s On Providence & Calvinism
Providence (Free Reformation Books, MP3s and Videos)
FREE AND DISCOUNTED REFORMED AND PURITAN BOOKS, MP3s AND VIDEOS ON PROVIDENCE
There are 56 Reformation resources (books and MP3s) by the Puritan John Flavel on the Puritan Hard Drive including the six volume set entitled, The Works of John Flavel.SHORT SUMMARY OF JOHN FLAVEL'S MYSTERY OF PROVIDENCE: Based on the words "God that performeth all things for me" (Ps. 57:2) this work shows us how providence works for us in every stage and experience of our lives. A great book to read if you are suffering under trials or perplexing circumstances. This is one of the best Puritan books on providence!
RELATED DIGITAL DOWNLOADS (PDF BOOKS), FREE MP3s, etc., ON PROVIDENCE, THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD, AND RELATED TOPICS
Arminianism: Another Gospel (1 of 2) - Wesley, Moody, Billy Graham, Quotes By Calvin, Spurgeon, Edwards, Owen, Rutherford, et al. (Free MP3 and PDF from SWRB)
Arminianism: Another Gospel (2 of 2) - Wesley, Moody, Billy Graham, Quotes By Calvin, Spurgeon, Edwards, Owen, Rutherford, et al. (Free MP3 and PDF from SWRB)
The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock (Kindle)
The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock (Web, Volume 1)
The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock (Web, Volume 2)
The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock (Solid Ground Christian Books)
The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock (Amazon, Paperback)
The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock (Amazon, Hardcover)
A.W. Pink's Book The Attributes of God (Free Online Audio Book [MP3s], iTunes, Text, PDF, Epub, Mobi Files [Kindle], Romania Edition, Paperback Book, etc.)
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Matthew 10:29-30)
There are 87 Reformation resources, on the Puritan Hard Drive, with the word "providence" in the title.
From Facets of Grace
Amazing 54 Second Puritan Hard Drive Video Review by Pastor Scott Brown, Director of the National Center For Family Integrated Churches
RELATED BLOGS ON PROVIDENCE THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD
RELATED LINKS AT PuritanDownloads.com JONATHAN EDWARDS ON THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD (CALVINISM)
55 Free Puritan & Reformation MP3s on Providence - Calvinism, Calvinists, Predestination, SovereigntyFREE ONLINE CALVINIST BOOKS & MP3s: Calvinism (the Sovereignty of God, TULIP, etc.) Vs. ArminianismPredestination & Foreknowledge: Those Whom He Foreknew (Calvinism, Election, Calvin, Free Will) SWRB Dave Hunt's What Love Is This? Calvinism's Misrepresentation of God - A Book Review by Phil JohnsonARMINIANISM VERSUS CALVINISM (BIBLICAL TRUTH ABOUT GOD'S SOVEREIGNTY & THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MAN) Predestination, Prayer and Evangelism by Borgman (Why Pray If God Is Absolutely Sovereign) Calvinism SPURGEON ON GOD'S SOVEREIGNTY & MAN'S RESPONSIBILITY (James White vs. Dave Hunt, Beeke, Price...)History of Calvinism (FREE MP3) Augustine, Monergism, Arminianism, Reformation, Dort - Phil JohnsonFREE MP3s ON DAVE HUNT'S ATTACK ON THE BIBLE, CALVINISM, JOHN CALVIN & FAITHFUL REFORMERS BIBLICAL INSPIRATION & BEHOLDING THE GOD OF SELF-SUFFICIENT FULLNESS (BIBLE, SOVEREIGNTY, CALVINISM) PROVIDENCE, CALVINISM, HYPER-CALVINISM, ARMINIANISM, SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD, FREE WILL, EDWARDS, etc. Dave Hunt and the Jesuit Attempt to Hijack the Christian Faith (Calvinism & Arminianism In History)
PURITAN HARD DRIVE REVIEW, SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD, ARMINIANISM, CHURCH, CALVINISM, REFORMATION... - SWRB
ARMINIAN/JESUIT PERSECUTION OF CALVINISTS, COVENANTERS & PURITANS: ARMINIANISM/POPES VS. CALVINISM
JOHN WESLEY'S SHAMEFUL PERSECUTION OF TOPLADY - ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF ARMINIAN HATRED FOR CALVINISM
FREE MP3s AT MONERGISM.COM (Sovereignty, Attributes, Holiness of God, Calvinism, Creation, etc.)
FREE: FIVE POINTS OF CALVINISM by Al Martin, Brian Schwertley, J. DeWitt, F. Griswold, R.L. Dabney
JOHN WESLEY'S ATTACKS ON CLASSIC CHRISTIAN (CALVINISM) DOCTRINE -JUSTIFICATION, SANCTIFICATION, etc.
PROVIDENCE, CALVINISM, HYPER-CALVINISM, ARMINIANISM, SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD, FREE WILL, EDWARDS, etc.
PAUL WASHER ON THE PURITAN HARD DRIVE
"In the history of extra-biblical study and research tools there has never before been a resource as useful as the Puritan Hard Drive. Having the Puritan Hard Drive is like owning the largest Puritan and Reformed Library in the world along with a full time research assistant with his PhD in Puritan Studies from Oxford or Cambridge. With the click of a button, you can easily do ten hours worth of research in just seconds! Imagine not only owning the largest Puritan and Reformed library, but having a full-time team of world-class research assistants at your beck and call. It is almost as if God is saying, 'Here is a tool that will lead you to more truth faster than ever before. Make the best possible use of it and bring much glory to My Name.' (2 Timothy 2:15, Ephesians 5:16). The Puritan Hard Drive is a tremendous blessing." - Pastor Paul Washer, HeartCry Missionary Society (click here to see Paul Washer's full review of the Puritan Hard Drive)
"In the history of the church's sanctification
(mortification and vivification - ed.) I don't believe there has been a more valuable extra-biblical resource and tool than the Puritan Hard Drive." - Dr. C. Matthew McMahon, A Puritan's Mind
"To have that much information from a consistent, biblical, orthodox, and gospel-centered point of view is simply astonishing. Anyone who admires the Puritans simply must have the Puritan Hard Drive."
- Dr. Voddie Baucham, Jr., Voddie Baucham Ministries
"The Puritan Hard Drive has been such a superb blessing to me personally and for my ministry, that I lack words to adequately praise the Lord! " - Richard Bennett (former Roman Catholic priest who now preaches Reformation truth), Berean Beacon
MANY MORE PURITAN HARD DRIVE REVIEWS (Click Here)
"As a member of the HeartCry Missionary Society, I am witness to the great needs of Christians throughout the globe. Possibly the greatest need is sound Christian literature. Even though many Third World pastors read English, they have very few good books available to them. Even if we could afford to buy each indigenous minister a small library, the cost of shipping would be astronomical. With the Puritan Hard Drive we can provide pastors throughout the globe with one of the most complete Puritan and Reformed libraries at a fraction of the cost." - Pastor Paul Washer, HeartCry Missionary Society (click here to see Paul Washer's full review of the Puritan Hard Drive)
AUTHOR'S INTRODUCTION FROM THE PROVIDENCE OF GOD BY JOHN FLAVEL
I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me (Psalm 57:2)
The greatness of God is a glorious and unsearchable mystery. 'For the LORD most high is terrible; he is a great king over all the earth' (Psalm 47:2). The condescension of the most high God to men is also a profound mystery. 'Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly' (Psalm 138:6). But when both these meet together, as they do in this Scripture, they make up a matchless mystery. Here we find the most high God performing all things for a poor distressed creature.
- It is the great support and solace of the saints in all the distresses that befall them here, that there is a wise Spirit sitting in all the wheels of motion, and governing the most eccentric creatures and their most pernicious designs to blessed and happy issues. And, indeed, it were not worth while to live in a world devoid of God and Providence.
- How deeply we are concerned in this matter will appear by that great instance which Psalm 57 presents us with. It was composed, as the title notes, by David when he hid himself from Saul in the cave. It is inscribed with a double title: 'Al-taschith, Michtam of David.' 'Altaschith' refers to the scope and 'Michtam' to the dignity of the subject-matter.
- The former signifies 'destroy not,' or 'let there be no slaughter.' and may either refer to Saul concerning whom he gave charge to his servants not to destroy him, or rather, it has reference to God, to whom in this great exigency he poured out his soul in this passionate ejaculation: 'Altaschith,' 'destroy not.'
- The latter title 'Michtam' signifies 'a golden ornament,' and so is suited to the choice and excellent matter of the Psalm, which much more deserves such a title than do Pythagoras' Golden Verses.
- Three things are remarkable in the former part of the Psalm: his extreme danger; his earnest address to God in that extremity; and the arguments he pleads with God in that address.
- His extreme danger is expressed in both the title and the body of the psalm. The title tells us this psalm was composed by him when he hid himself from Saul in the cave. This cave was in the wilderness of Engedi among the broken rocks where the wild goats lived, an obscure and desolate hole; yet even there the envy of Saul pursued him (1 Samuel 24:1, 2). And now he that had been so long hunted as a partridge upon the mountains seems to be enclosed in the net. His enemies were outside the cave, from which there was no other outlet. Then Saul himself entered the mouth of this cave, in the sides and creeks of which David and his men lay hidden, and they actually saw him. Judge to how great an extremity and to what a desperate state things were now brought. Well might he say: 'My soul is among lions, and I lie even among them that are set on fire' (verse 4). What hope now remained? What but immediate destruction could be expected?
- Yet this does not frighten him out of his faith and duty, but between the jaws of death he prays, and earnestly addresses himself to God for mercy: 'Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me' (verse 1). This excellent psalm was composed by him when there was enough to discompose the best man in the world. The repetition notes both the extremity of the danger and the ardency of the supplicant. Mercy, mercy, nothing but mercy, and that exerting itself in an extraordinary way, can now save him from ruin.
- The arguments he pleads for obtaining mercy in this distress are very considerable. First, he pleads his reliance upon God as an argument to move mercy. 'Be merciful unto me O God, be merciful unto me, for my soul trusteth in thee; yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast' (verse 1). This his trust and dependence on God though it is not an argument in respect of the dignity of the act, yet it is so in respect of the nature of the object, a compassionate God, who will not expose any that take shelter under His wings; also in respect of the promise by which protection is assured to them that fly to Him for sanctuary: 'Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee' (Isaiah 26:3). Thus he encourages himself from the consideration of that God in whom he trusts.
- He pleads former experiences of His help in past distresses as an argument encouraging hope under the present strait: 'I will cry unto God most high, unto God that performeth all things for me' (verse 2).
- In these words I shall consider two things: the duty resolved upon, and the encouragement to that resolution.
- The duty resolved upon: 'I will cry unto God.' Crying unto God is an expression that denotes not only prayer, but intense and fervent prayer. To cry is to pray in a holy passion; and such are usually speeding prayers (Psalm 18:6; Hebrews 5:7).
- The encouragements to this resolution are taken from the sovereignty of God and from the experience he had of His Providence.
- The sovereignty of God: 'I will cry unto God most high.' Upon this he acts his faith in extremity of danger. Saul is high, but God is the most high, and without His permission he is assured Saul cannot touch him. He had none to help, and if he had, he knew God must first help the helpers or they cannot help him. He had no means of defence or escape before him, but the Most High is not limited by means. This is a singular prop to faith (Psalm 59:9).
- The experience of His Providence hitherto: 'Unto God that performeth all things for me.'
- The word which we translate 'performeth' comes from a root that signifies both to perfect, and to desist or cease. For when a business is performed and perfected, the agent then ceases and desists from working. To such a happy issue the Lord has brought all his doubtful and difficult matters before; and this gives him encouragement that He will still be gracious, and perfect that which concerns him now, as he speaks: 'The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me' (Psalm 138:8).
- The Septuagint renders Psalm 57:2: 'The well-doer saving me,' 'who profits or benefits me.' And it is a certain truth that all the results and issues of Providence are profitable and beneficial to the saints. But the supplement in our translation well conveys the sense of the text: 'Who performeth all things.' And it involves the most strict and proper notion of Providence, which is nothing else but the performance of God's gracious purposes and promises to His people. And therefore Vatabulus and Muis supply and fill up the room left by the conciseness of the original with 'which he hath promised,' thus: 'I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth the things which he hath promised.' Payment is the performance of promises. Grace makes the promise, and Providence the payment.
- Piscator fills it thus: 'unto God that performeth his kindness and mercy.' But still it supposes the mercy performed to be contained in the promise. Mercy is sweet in the promise, and much more so in the providential performance of it to us.
- Castalio's supplement comes nearer to ours: 'I will cry unto God most high, unto God, the transactor of my affairs.' But our English, making out the sense by a universal particle, is most agreeable to the scope of the text. For it cannot but be a great encouragement to his faith, that God had transacted all things, or performed all things for him. This Providence that never failed him in any of the straits that ever he met with (and his life was a life of many straits) he might well hope would not fail him now, though this were an extraordinary and matchless one.
- Let us then bring our thoughts a little closer to this Scripture, and it will give us a fair and lovely prospect of Providence in its universal, effectual, beneficial and encouraging influence upon the affairs and concerns of the saints.
- The expression imports the universal interest and influence of Providence in and upon all the concerns and interests of the saints. It not only has its hand in this or that, but in all that concerns them. It has its eye upon every thing that relates to them throughout their lives, from first to last. Not only the great and more important, but the most minute and ordinary affairs of our lives are transacted and managed by it. It touches all things that touch us, whether more nearly or remotely.
- The text displays the efficacy of providential influences. Providence not only undertakes but perfects what concerns us. It goes through with its designs, and accomplishes what it begins. No difficulty so clogs it, no cross accident falls in its way, but it carries its design through it. Its motions are irresistible and uncontrollable; He performs it for us.
- And (which is sweet to consider) all its products and issues are exceedingly beneficial to the saints. It performs all things for them. 'Tis true we often prejudge its works, and unjustly censure its designs, and in many of our straits and troubles we say: 'All these things are against us'; but indeed Providence neither does nor can do any thing that is really against the true interest and good of the saints. For what are the works of Providence but the execution of God's decree and the fulfilling of His Word? And there can be no more in Providence than is in them. Now there is nothing but good to the saints in God's purposes and promises; and, therefore, whatever Providence does concerning them, it must be (as the text speaks) 'the performance of all things for them.'
- And if so, how cheering, supporting and encouraging must the consideration of these things be in a day of distress and trouble! What life and hope will it inspire our hearts and prayers with when great pressures lie upon us! It had such a cheering influence upon the Psalmist at this time, when the state of his affairs was, to the eye of sense and reason, forlorn and desperate; there was but a hair's breadth (as we say) between him and ruin.
- A powerful, enraged and implacable enemy had driven him into the hole of a rock, and was come after him into that hole. Yet now while his soul is among lions, while he lies in a cranny of the rock, expecting every moment to be drawn out to death, the reflections he had upon the gracious performances of the Most High for him, from the beginning to that moment, support his soul and inspire hope and life into his prayers: 'I will cry unto God most high, unto God that performeth all things for me.
- From the text then you have this doctrine :
- It is the duty of the saints, especially in times of straits, to reflect upon the performances of Providence for them in all the states and through all the stages of their lives.
- The Church, in all the works of mercy, owns the hand of God: 'LORD, thou also hast wrought all our works in (or for) us' (Isaiah 26:12). And still it has been the pious and constant practice of the saints in all generations to preserve the memory of the more famous and remarkable providences that have befallen them in their times as a precious treasure. 'If thou be a Christian indeed, I know thou hast, if not in thy book, yet certainly in thy heart, a great many precious favours upon record; the very remembrance and rehearsal of them is sweet; how much more sweet was the actual enjoyment?'.
- Thus Moses, by divine direction, wrote a memorial of that victory obtained over Amalek as the fruit and return of prayer, and built there an altar with this inscription, Jehovah-nissi 'The LORD my banner' (Exodus 17:14, 15).
- Thus Mordecai and Esther took all care to perpetuate the memory of that signal deliverance from the plot of Haman, by ordaining the feast of Purim as an anniversary 'throughout every generation, every family, every province, and every city; that these days of Purim should not fail from among the Jews, nor the memorial of them perish from their seed' (Esther 9:28).
- For this end you find Psalms indited, 'to bring to remembrance' (Psalm 70, title). You find parents giving suitable names to their children, that every time they looked upon them they might refresh the memory of God's mercies (1 Samuel 1:20).
- You find the very places where eminent providences have appeared, given a new name, for no other reason but to perpetuate the memorial of those sweet providences which so refreshed them there. Thus Bethel received its name (Genesis 28:19). And that well of water where Hagar was seasonably refreshed by the angel in her distress, was called Beer-laha-roi: 'the well of him that liveth and looketh on me' (Genesis 16:14). Yea, the saints have given, and God has assumed to Himself new titles upon this very score and account; Abraham's Jehovah-jireh and Gideon's Jehovah-shalom were ascribed to Him for this reason. And sometimes you find the Lord styles Himself 'The God that brought Abraham from Ur of the Chaldees' or 'The LORD God that brought them out of Egypt' or again 'The LORD that gathered them out of the north country'; reminding them of the gracious providences which in all those places He had wrought for them.
- Now there is a twofold reflection upon the providential works of God.
- One is entire and full, in its whole complex and perfect system. This blessed sight is reserved for the perfect state. It is in that mount of God where we shall see both the wilderness and Canaan, the glorious kingdom into which we are come, and the way through which we were led into it. There the saints shall have a ravishing view of it in its entirety, and every part shall be distinctly discerned, as it had its particular use, and as it was connected with the other parts, and how effectually and orderly they all wrought to bring about that blessed design of their salvation, according to the promise: 'And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose' (Romans 8:28). For it is certain, no ship at sea keeps more exactly by the compass which directs its course, than Providence keeps by that promise which is its cynosure and polestar.
- The other sight is partial and imperfect which we have on the way to glory, during which we only view it in its single acts, or at most, in some branches and more observable series of actions.
- Between these two is the same difference as between the sight of the disjointed wheels and scattered pins of a watch, and the sight of the whole united in one frame and working in one orderly motion; or between an ignorant spectator who views some more observable vessel or joint of a dissected body, and the accurate anatomist who discerns the course of all the veins and arteries of the body as he follows the various branches of them through the whole, and plainly sees the proper place, figure and use of each, with their mutual respect to one another.
- O how ravishing and delectable a sight will it be to behold at one view the whole design of Providence, and the proper place and use of every single act, which we could not understand in this world! What Christ said to Peter is as applicable to some providences in which we are now concerned as it was to that particular action: 'What I do, thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter' (John 13:7). All the dark, intricate, puzzling providences at which we were sometimes so offended, and sometimes amazed, which we could neither reconcile with the promise nor with each other, nay, which we so unjustly censured and bitterly bewailed, as if they had fallen out quite against our happiness, we shall then see to be to us, as the difficult passage through the wilderness was to Israel, 'the right way to a city of habitation' (Psalm 107:7).
- And yet, though our present views and reflections upon Providence are so short and imperfect in comparison to that in heaven, yet such as it is under all its present disadvantages, it has so much excellence and sweetness in it that I may call it a little heaven, or as Jacob called his Bethel, 'the gate of heaven.' It is certainly a highway of walking with God in this world, and a soul may enjoy as sweet communion with Him in His providences as in any of His ordinances.
- How often have the hearts of its observers been melted into tears of joy at the beholding of its wise and unexpected productions! How often has it convinced them, upon a sober recollection of the events of their lives, that if the Lord had left them to their own counsels they had as often been their own tormenters, if not executioners! Into what and how many fatal mischiefs had they precipitated themselves if Providence had been as shortsighted as they! They have given it their hearty thanks for considering their interest more than their importunity, and not allowing them to perish by their own desires.
Contents of The Mystery of Providence Author's Introduction
Part One - The Evidence of Providence
Chapter 1) The Work of Providence for the Saints
Chapter 2) Our Birth and Upbringing
Chapter 3) The Work of Conversion
Chapter 4) Our Employment
Chapter 5) Family Affairs
Chapter 6) Preservation of the Saints from Evil
Chapter 7) The Work of Sanctification
Part Two - Meditation on the Providence of God
Chapter 8) The Duty of Meditation on Providence
Chapter 9) How to Meditate on the Providence of God
Chapter 10) The Advantages of Meditating on Providence
Part Three - Application of the Doctrine of Providence
Chapter 11) Practical Implications for the Saints
Chapter 12) Practical Problems in Connection with Providence
Chapter 13) The Advantages of Recording our Experiences of Providence
FREE PURITAN HARD DRIVE INTRO VIDEO (6:20)
Puritan Hard Drive Introductory Video
Over 12,500 Puritan (Owen, Watson, et al), Reformation (Calvin, Knox, Luther, et al.), Covenanter (Rutherford, Gillespie), Presbyterian (Hodge), Calvinistic (Edwards), Reformed Baptist (Spurgeon, Bunyan, Pink, et al) Books, MP3s, & Videos - With Powerful, Practical and Proprietary Reformation Research and Bible Study Software and a Massive Embedded Data With Over 15,000,000 Records (Which Helps You Find Exactly What You Need In An Instant!).
Bible Study Will Never Be the Same Again!
Amazing Puritan Hard Drive Fact and Hint
: A search, using the master index on the Puritan Hard Drive and the "Open Full Reader Search" (in Acrobat reader), for the word "prayer", returns 97,170 results (in 1,378 documents) - all in context, arranged by book, and clickable (i.e., when you click on your individual search result the book opens to the page with your result highlighted)! How helpful is that for learning more about prayer, or any other subject you can think of, through the Puritan Hard Drive? Download the free PDF, How to Find Specific Words and Phrases in Searchable Books.pdf
, to learn more.
- Turbo-Charge Your Biblical Studies. Grow in Grace. Increase Personal, Family and Church Sanctification. Praise and Love the Lord More!
- The Puritan Hard Drive is Comprehensive, Portable and Unprecedented In Its Usefulness - A True Technological (Puritan and Reformation) Treasure Trove!
- The Puritan Hard Drive Contains the World's Most Powerful and Practical Bible Study Software Fully Installed and Ready To Use Right Out of the Box.
- No Installation Necessary, Just Plug the Puritan Hard Drive Into the USB Port of Any PC or Mac Computer and Start Enjoying the Most Advanced and Amazing Digital Christian (Puritan, Reformation, Calvinist, Presbyterian, Covenanter, Reformed Baptist, Protestant, etc.) Library in History.
- The Unsurpassed Reformation and Puritan Library On the Puritan Hard Drive Already Contains Over 12,500 Of the Best Reformation and Puritan Books, MP3s and Videos, Which We (SWRB) Have Published or Gathered Over A Period of More Than 25 Years, and Is Fully Expandable As New Reformed and Puritan Books, MP3s and Videos Are Integrated and/or Published For the Puritan Hard Drive In Days To Come.
- All Data Related to the 12,500+ Books, MP3s and Videos is Fully Searchable, Through the Powerful Proprietary SWRB Software Engineered Exclusively for the Puritan Hard Drive, In Regard to Titles, Authors, Summaries, Categories, the Personal Notes You Add to Any Resource, Indexed Words Inside Books, Etc.
- The Majority of the Books Are Also Fully Searchable Concerning Their Content and You May Copy and Paste From these Books too. The Embedded Indices In these Books Also Make these Searches Lightning Fast, Even When You Are Searching for Multiple Occurrences of A Word or Phrase Across A Complete Book - As You Can Pull Up Hundreds of References, Clickable and In Context, In Seconds or Less, Even In Books That Are Over 500 Pages Long!
- Not Only Can You Search Within Every OCRed (Optical Character Recognition) Book Individually, But You Can Also Search Across the Entire Collection of Searchable Books At Once, With One Search Query, to Obtain Results (Clickable and In Context) for Every Occurrence of Your Search Word or Phrase Across All the Searchable Books on the Puritan Hard Drive. You May then Click On Any Link In Your Search Results to Immediately Access the Exact Page In the Book Where Your Selected Search Result is Located. Your Search Result Will Also Be Highlighted On the Page Where You Arrive, So You Can Find the Word or Phrase You Searched for Quickly and Easily. This is A Very Powerful Feature, Full of Benefits That Will Help You to Effortlessly and Expeditiously Expand Your Christian Studies In More Ways Than You May Be Able to Imagine - At Least Until You Have Actually Experienced This Exceedingly Robust Reformation Research Capability, for Yourself, Through the Puritan Hard Drive.
- When You See All You Are Getting On The Puritan Hard Drive You Will Be Amazed - All Thanks and Glory Be to the Lord for the Great Things He Has Done in Bringing this Marvelous, Wonderful and Extraordinary Christian Study Tool Into Existence!
Interest Free Deferred Monthly Payments, On The Puritan Hard Drive, Starting As Low As $50.00 Per Month, Get Yours Today By Calling 780-450-3730 Now!
If funds are tight, remember that you can purchase the Puritan Hard Drive using interest free deferred monthly payments as low as $50.00 per month. We also ship your Puritan Hard Drive as soon as your deferred monthly payments have reached $100.00. You may also pay $100.00 down, for faster shipping, then $50.00 per month thereafter. Call us at 780-450-3730 for more details about our interest free deferred monthly payments offer, or to get started today. You may also place an interest free deferred monthly payments order for the Puritan Hard Drive by using our Secure Online Order form. If you use our Secure Online Order Form, please make sure to enter your shipping address, phone number, email address and payment information (credit or debit card and expiry date). Also mention if you need the Single Platform Edition (Windows or Mac) or Dual Platform Edition (Windows and Mac) of the Puritan Hard Drive, and what size of Puritan Hard Drive you are ordering (size options, and the cost for each, are above the "Add to Cart" button at the SWRB Puritan Hard Drive page). Interest free deferred monthly payments orders must be placed by calling 780-450-3730 (in Canada) or using our Secure Online Order Form (click here). Scroll down at Phone/Contact Us to find the exact phone number to use from your country. We are open for calls six days a week (we are closed on the Lord's Day [Sunday]) and often cover the phones 24 hours a day. However, if you call and get our answering machine, it is safe to leave your order on the answering machine, or to leave us your phone number, with a message about why you are calling, and the best time to call you back, and we will call you when it is convenient for you. This applies to all nations worldwide.
For a limited time, we are making available to the public a free download of a fully-functional copy of the Puritan Hard Drive KnowledgeBase application software, bundled with more than 300 Adobe PDF books/articles and MP3 audio sermons from the Puritan Hard Drive collection. (Click here to download a PDF listing of all bundled Puritan books/articles and Reformation MP3s.) This is the same critically-acclaimed knowledgebase and powerful search engine to be found on the Puritan Hard Drive, with the following limitations:
- You can only access the Resources that are bundled with the demo.
- You can only save a maximum of 5 Saved Search Results Sets at any one time.
- You can only save a maximum of 3 Saved Search Results Sets Lists at any one time.
- You can only save a maximum of 10 unique Resources in your Favorites List at any one time.
This demonstration version contains all the content and search functionality of the unrestricted version available only on the Puritan Hard Drive. This unrestricted version of the KnowledgeBase Application provides the user with immediate access to the more than 12,500 PDF (books and other text resources), MP3 (audio) and WMV (video) Resources contained in the full Puritan Hard Drive collection. In that version, you can create thousands of Saved Search Results Sets and Saved Search Results Sets Lists, limited only by the available free space on the internal drive or external USB drive where the application resides. This also applies to the Favorites List. Click here for more information or to download your free Puritan Hard Drive demo software now!.
The Puritan Hard Drive is an exquisite piece of work.
The purchaser of this fine product will have at his fingertips more of the best Reformed literature than he can probably ever get around to reading.
Truly, if a Christian wants to invest wisely in his own growth, this is the best investment he can make at this time.
More than highly recommended!
- Justin Rawson
Gospel Covenant Publications
|Your Voice and Worldwide Reformation!
Add Your Voice to the Growing Reformation Today!
Would you like to volunteer some of your time to read classic Puritan and Reformed books and sermons to MP3, to make permanent digital audio versions of the best Puritan and Reformed books for our generation and for posterity? If so, we then list the Puritan and Reformed MP3s you have read on the Web, to give them away for free to people in every nation of the world - and, by God's grace, we reach between 45,000 to over 100,000 people each month with these free Puritan and Reformation MP3s! You may listen to other readings, by people just like yourself (who love the Lord and want to reach others with the love of the Lord Jesus Christ and the truth of His holy Word, the Bible) at FREE PURITAN & REFORMATION MP3 AUDIO SERMONS/BOOKS and from our "Audio Book" section on SWRB's sermonaudio site. You may also use the FREE SWRB iPHONE, iPAD, iPOD (Touch) APP to listen. It is very easy to get started with your new international Reformation reading ministry, just email us at email@example.com requesting our "PURITAN and REFORMED BOOK READER INSTRUCTIONS." Thank you!
It may also be of interest to you to know that at SWRB we strive to use as much of the proceeds from sales, as is possible, to produce more free and discounted Puritan books, Reformation MP3s and Calvinistic videos. This is how, by God's grace, we have published so many books, MP3s and videos over the years (with a relatively small staff and the help of volunteers) and why we are able to distribute so much material for free and at such low prices - may our Lord get all the glory! With your continued prayers, support and purchases we will be able to reach even more people, in the future, all around the world with the truth of the Scriptures - using the latest and best technologies available, in the service of the Lord, to greatly multiply all the good that can be done, and aiming to fill the world with the best Christian (Puritan and Reformation) resources available (Acts 17:6).
Your Servant in Christ (for the Third Reformation),
Dr. Reg Barrow
Still Waters Revival Books
Serving Christians Worldwide (In Over 100 Countries) For 27+ Years
"In the history of the church's sanctification I don't believe there has been a more valuable extra-biblical resource and tool than the Puritan Hard Drive... It holds some of the most priceless Reformed works of God-centered and Christ-glorifying truth that were ever penned." - Dr. Matthew McMahon, A Puritan's Mind
"To have that much information from a consistent, biblical, orthodox, and gospel-centered point of view is simply astonishing. Anyone who admires the Puritans simply must have the Puritan Hard Drive." - Dr. Voddie Baucham, Jr., Voddie Baucham Ministries
"The Puritan Hard Drive has been such a superb blessing to me personally and for my ministry, that I lack words to adequately praise the Lord!" - Richard Bennett (former Roman Catholic priest who is now a preacher of monergistic Reformation truth), Berean Beacon